Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The Tea Party in Texas

Tea Party

Since I have only been alive for 19 years now I have only known two parties; the Republicans and the Democrats. Occasionally I hear about some independents running for office but that only comes around the presidential election time. But a new organized group has caught my attention. They have called themselves the Tea Party. I don’t know much about them; only what I hear from political talk shows such as Glenn Beck and other news sources. All I really know about these Tea Partiers is that they are not happy with either of the parties and have decided to take things into their own hands. The Tea Party seems to be a very conservative group, more conservative than your run of the mill Republican. I have heard of the Green party and others similar and I have one question for the Tea Party. Are they going to be able to make a difference or affect elections as a national power? I came upon this article and found out how the Tea Party could have an effect on the Texas primaries that are being held on March 2, 2010. The editor, William McKenzie, talks about how the Tea Party helped elect a Republican candidate in Massa chutes, a usual Democratic state. McKenzie wonders if the same can happen in Texas. He believes that the success of the Party will not depend on the election of a certain candidate, rather on how much of the vote their governor, Debra Medina, can get. He goes on to say that he believes many of the Republicans in Texas could qualify as Tea Partiers. ? He believes that anywhere from twenty to thirty percent of the Republicans is Tea Party. McKenzie believes before any of the elections that the Tea Party has made a difference. Do I think the Tea Party is making a difference? Sure. Do I think they will be a contender locally or even nationally? Maybe. I believe that the Tea Party is an organization from both parties who are unhappy with the current government. The way things appear to be going and more and more people becoming very unhappy with the government the Tea Party could recruit many more followers

No comments: